Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Veggie Dip!



I am a HUGE fan of dips, but usually like ones that are paired with something fatty. While browsing Asian recipes a few days ago, I cam across this peanut butter dip/spread on Cooking Light. I have never enjoyed eating raw vegetables (outside of a salad) so much! I brought it to a family gathering before Christmas and it was a big hit! It is so tasty, good for you, and easy to make. I will certainly be making this one again and again!

I served mine as a veggie dip with carrots, red peppers, and celery. I also tried it as a sandwich. I used what I had in my fridge: carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, and onion. It was delicious, but next time I would try it with a bread that is toasted or not as soft.

1/2 cup natural-style peanut butter (such as Smucker's)
1/3 cup reduced-fat firm silken tofu
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed

Place all ingredients in a blender, and process until smooth, scraping sides. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 days.

Yield: 1 cup (serving size: 2 tablespoons)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 122(57% from fat); FAT 7.7g (sat 1.5g,mono 3.8g,poly 2.5g); PROTEIN 5.4g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 19mg; SODIUM 131mg; FIBER 0.5g; IRON 0.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7.4g


Asian Peanut Butter Dip

No comments: